Friday 15 February 2013

Consent

I feel better now I've seen you, but deep inside my bones feel like timber, and I, I am shaking from the tension
Galaxy Of The Lost - Lightspeed Champion

Consent forms. Whose benefit are they for anyway? It's just the system covering its own back. So you can't say "I never knew". You know you need to do it, whatever the risks.

I've had a few of these by now - where they tell you what could go wrong, and then you have to sign to say you know the risks but you want to proceed. But the transplant consent was in a league of its own.



"Graft failure" means 5% don't pull through. But as a young, fit person, I'm unlikely to be in the 5%.

"Secondary malignancies" means 5%-10% likelihood of developing leukemia, some years hence, but I'm at risk of that anyway.

No comments: